Links to referenced material
Material Handling Definitions
ASME B30-20-1999 definitions from ASME B30 Section 20-0.2 and
- Designated load
- The specified size, shape, and weight of material to be
- Designated person
- A person selected or assigned by the employer or the
employer's representative as being competent to perform
- Normal operating
- Conditions during which a lifter is performing functions
within the scope of the original design.
- Qualified person
- A person who, by possession of a recognized degree in an
applicable field or certificate of professional standing,
or who, by extensive knowledge, training, and experience,
has successfully demonstrated the ability to solve or
resolve problems relating to the subject matter and work.
- Rated load
- The maximum load for which the equipment is designated by
- Service, heavy
- That service, which involves operation within the rated
load limit that exceeds normal service.
- Service, normal
- That distributed service, which involves operation with
various weights within the rated load limit, or uniform
loads less than 65% of rated load.
- Service, severe
- That service, which involves normal or heavy service with
abnormal operating conditions.
Types of Lifters
- Friction-type pressure gripping lifters
- Lifters that grip the load without significant or harmful
permanent deformation of the load surface.
- Indentation-type pressure gripping lifters
- Lifters that carry the load by applying force to indent
the sides of the load.
- Ingot turnover grab
- A manipulating lifter.
- Lifting beam (spreader beam)
- A load supporting lifter.
- Lock bar sheet lifter
- A supporting lifter.
- Manipulating Lifter
- A lifter that rotates the load about one or more axes
during the lifting process.
- Mechanical lifting device
- A mechanism composed of two or more rigid parts, which
move with respect to each other for attaching a load to a
- Structural lifting device
- A lifter consisting of an assembly of rigid parts
designed to hold and attach a load to a hoistway device.
- Supporting lifter
- A lifter that carries the load on rigid projection(s) or
- Chain/hand wheel
- A device for manually operating a lifter.
- Grip ratio
- The ratio of the sum of horizontal forces on one side of
the load to the live weight of the load.
- Gripping force
- The force the lifting device exerts on the load.
- A device for holding a lifter in the open or closed
- Latch, automatic
- A sequencing latch mechanism operated by lifter motion.
Other Terms Necessary not explicitly defined in ASME B30
- Qualified Operator
- A qualified operator is a person who meets and or uses
all the specifications explained in ASME B30 Section
20-1.6. The person shall be properly trained in all
aspects of the lifting device and the the load that is to
be lifted. The operator shall be fit to perform the lift.
The operator shall only use properly operating equipment
and only use it in a manner it was intend to be used and
only for materials it was to be used upon. When the lift
is completed, the operator shall store the lifter in safe
Send mail to
Webmaster@DownsCrane.com with questions or comments
about this web site.
Copyright © 2000 Downs Crane & Hoist Co., Inc.
February 24, 2010